Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tasting - J. W. Lees Harvest Ale Limited Edition


Name: J. W. Lees Harvest Ale Limited Edition
Variety: Ale from Barley
Region: North Manchester
Country: England
Year: 2010
Price: Regularly $8.95

Reviews: 
"We´ve selected only the very finest malted barley and the choicest East Kent Goldings hops. Harvest Ale is brewed by traditional methods in open copper fermenting vessels to a very high original gravity, and fermented with our excellent Cervisiae yeast to produce a very special ale. Harvest Ale is then stored to impart excellent keeping qualities and to ensure that it will mature and improve with age. The result is an excellent full bodied beer that can be enjoyed by itself or as an accompaniment to a meal." --- Brewery notes

My review: 
The bottle says it is a "barley wine style ale." I have not had any experience with barley wine and I was not sure what I was getting myself into, giving something new a try. This ale poured a murky, reddish-brown color with a very small, white head and sediment settling to the bottom. It has a very strong, distinct aroma of molasses yet with the salty smell of soy sauce. Has a thick, syrupy mouthfeel. I taste a little bit of sweetness but it is overwhelmed by what I can only describe as soy sauce. I'm not quite sure how a barley wine is supposed to taste, but this ale is definitely not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment